Monday, December 10, 2007

Spanish Chicken Cutlets

Spanish Chicken Cutlets

This recipe is one of the reasons I like Rachael Ray so much. I caught her making this some months ago, and was immediately piqued that something that looked so good appeared to be very simple, and all with ingredients I'd heard of and probably had.

I've never dared time-test Ms. Ray's 30-minute recipes, though she really does make them very convincingly in the 30 minutes alloted for her show. That includes pulling things out of the pantry, peeling and chopping, measuring everything (not like my nemesis Paula Deen whose ingredients are all pre-measured in handy little bowls). This recipe in particular involves the food processor, which inexplicably adds an instant 10 minutes to my time, but on the whole, 30-Minute Meals are uncomplicated.

Once the cutlets are coated, the actual cooking is very easy and fast. On the TV show, she mentions that you can finish off the cooking in the oven, and I did that this time too.

I have made the accompanying olive rice, but the prevailing attitude in this household is is DON'T MESS WITH RICE MOM.

The first time I made these cutlets, it was a huge hit all around. This most recent round, my husband said he thought it was a little oily, and this was the time I finished the cooking in the oven. I'm not sure what to make of that. My sons loved it the first time, other times, they were so-so, but any number of things can distract little boys from food critiquing. The real score was that my almost-toothless 14-month-old couldn't get enough of cut-up slivers of it.

And I absolutely love this. The crunchy, nutty crust and the sherry-based sauce makes it downright luxurious. The effort involved in shopping and preparing this dish is miniscule compared to the payoff. Real bang for your buck. Rachael Ray, you can Yum-O and EVOO your way to my kitchen any time!

No comments: