Thursday, October 11, 2007

Slow-cooked chicken

I can't find it now on allrecipes.com, but I stumbled across a little video of:

Baked Slow Cooker Chicken

that inspired me to try it. It's really not much of a recipe, more like a method. But I had a whole chicken in the freezer, and a neglected slow cooker on a shelf. It was time the two shall meet.

(Of course, I defrosted the chicken first. Why freeze it to begin with? It's an Aaron's Best whole chicken from Trader Joe's. They're wonderful and tender, but go bad very quickly in the fridge. I've had to throw two away. So unless it's going straight from my grocery bag to the dinner table, it's a trip to freezerville first.)

The result? I loved how absolutely tender and moist the chicken came out. I didn't have to cut it at all...in fact, as I pulled it out of the slow-cooker, dangling precariously between two large spoons, it slipped and fell onto the cutting board I was aiming for, splatting into a convenient heap of chicken parts. That's the easiest chicken-carving I've ever done!

However, as compared to stuffing, seasoning, and roasting it at 450, much was lost. There was no tasty crispy skin, and no stuffing, though I could have made that separately. Slow-cooking was more convenient in every way: less cleanup, less tending, less preparation, less cutting (splat!). But roasting made for a tastier chicken, fewer leftovers and higher ratings from the family.

I'm not done with this yet though. Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken, anyone?

No comments: