Saturday, October 6, 2007

Yellow Cupcakes

Scarfed from a recipe printed in a newspaper, from "Mom's Big Book of Baking" by Lauren Chattman:

Classic Yellow Cupcakes

I have a long-lasting childhood habit of eating batter. After all, in the Old Days, there were no foodborne illnesses in raw eggs. (er, right?) Well, I haven't gotten over that habit. It's just too much fun. I'll stop the first time I, or anyone else I know, gets sick from it.

Anyway, thanks to extensive experience licking spoons, beaters and bowls, I can tell a lot from batter. The light fine fluffy batter for these cupcakes was a perfect predictor for the wonderful baked version. It must be the cake flour.

I made them in my fabulous
Williams-Sonoma Nonstick Goldtouch 24-cup Mini-Muffin pan (promise, no product placement here, I just really like this pan), added some cream cheese frosting and a few sprinkles.

The excuse for these was that my daughter turned 1 yesterday, though thanks to a bug that made the rounds of all the male stomachs in the house, we had to postpone the frosting festivities.

This recipe goes a long way toward my new lifelong devotion to finding scratch cake recipes that are better than the mixes. Much batter will be sacrificed toward this cause.

No comments: