Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mom's Zucchini Bread

Mom's Zucchini Bread

A regrettable name for an overall pretty good recipe. Zucchini bread is a lot harder to make moist than pumpkin bread, and while they share the same basic recipes, zucchini bread doesn't have pumpkin bread's "can't-go-wrong" basic characteristic. So I'm on a mission to find moist, chewy, no-milk-needed zucchini bread.

Overall this was pretty good. I liked that it called for a full 3 tsp of cinnamon and 3 tsp of vanilla. No sense scrimping on those!

I followed the recipe verbatim, forgetting that I'd planned to apply some reviewer's comments, like adding nutmeg and substituting in some brown sugar. I actually thought it was a little too sweet, or maybe had just a little bit too much of that white-sugar "bite," and that was with skimping on the sugar. Not enough, apparently. My mother routinely uses 1/3 the sugar a recipe calls for, but I'm not ready to go that far, since it can affect the texture too.

It made a lot, so I cut it into bite-sized pieces and left it out at work. It was gone within a few hours, but then, office scavengers aren't famous for having high standards.

In the absence of a superior mixture, I nominate Mom's Zucchini Bread as my favorite zucchini bread recipe. I sure wish I knew who Mom is though.

No comments: