Sunday, November 4, 2007

Pear Dutch Pancake

Pear Dutch Pancake

This recipe came with our weekly box of fruit from Frog Hollow Farm some weeks back. I highly prize my lazy side as one of my best virtues, so anything that says "pancake" and doesn't involve "flipping" is fine by me.

I've made this once before, and found it too gooey and sweet with 1/3 cup of honey called for in the recipe. This time, I dabbled just a little honey in, and not only did it stick to the pan a lot less, it was easier to eat -- and better, I think.

Cinnamon, on the other hand....I must have pretty weak spices, because recipes often call for a quantity I find negligible. A quarter-teaspoon of cinnamon? In a breakfast dish? With pears? That'd disappear in a mis-aimed sneeze! So I dumped in a few heaps of cinnamon, and it still wasn't too much.

First, saute the pears. These Bosc pears were very firm, so I sauted them for about 5 minutes.

Then pour the batter over the pears and stick the pan in the oven for 20 minutes, and sure enough it comes out puffy and very yummy-looking.

With the dearth of honey, there was glucotic (is that a word?) room for a sprinkling of confectioner's sugar on top. Which also looks nice.

Reviews from the fruit-consumers in the house (which does not include my husband) were good all around, though my 13-month-old used her pieces to investigate the pancake's suitability for projectiles.

1 comment:

MamaB said...

I really liked this too, though Gina didn't like it with the pears.I also used brown sugar instead of honey. I recently made it without the fruit and sauted the pears separately so that I could have the fruit with my pancake. I love Dutch baby pancakes and usually put lemon juice and powdered sugar on top.