Saturday, November 24, 2007

Pan Seared Red Snapper

Pan Seared Red Snapper

I bought some snapper today on impulse, thinking I could try a recipe I'd picked up at a supermarket some years ago. And I could have, if I stocked tomato juice in my pantry. Rats.

So, back to my new BFF allrecipes.com, and I quickly came across a simple recipe described as "gourmet taste on a tight schedule." I'm all about that. Well, the tight schedule part, anyway.

It was easy and quick to prepare and cook, with all common on-hand ingredients and no surprises embedded in the instructions ("marinate overnight"....doh!).

Some reviewers said they cut back on the ginger and later thought they didn't need to. I didn't cut back on the ginger, and actually later thought I even should have grated some fresh ginger into the marinade.

Quick marinade.


Saute in nonstick pan. Forgot about the instructions to add the rest of the sauce. The second round (not all the fish fit in this pan) worked better since the pan was hotter.


I'm the world's worst food photographer, so this looks awful, but with asparagus and brown rice, it was a good combination.


The reviews? My husband thought it was "so-so." I thought it needed a little salt, and even sneaked a little on his plate after the fact (though he likes flavor he won't put salt on anything), but that didn't do it. My sons didn't complain and ate a fair amount, which is a rousing chorus of approval coming from 3- and 5-year-olds. I thought it was indeed very tasty, and that the marinade and method of cooking kept it nice and moist and avoided the rubbery texture I too often get with snapper. I'd make the pan hotter next time though.

Net result: a keeper, especially as a base method for future mods.

No comments: